Link Building For SEO: The Most Complete Guide for Beginners
SEO messages as a digital marketing strategy are starting to be recognized and used by website owners (online businesses). One of the SEO techniques used is link building.
What is Link Building?
In digital marketing, link building for SEO is the process of acquiring hyperlinks by reaching out to other website owners, bloggers or influencers to ask them to link to your website. It is an important aspect of search engine optimization (SEO) because search engines like Google consider the number and quality of backlinks to a website when determining its ranking in search results.
Of course, Google refers to the practice of white hat link building, which is the practice of acquiring quality backlinks through ethical and legitimate means that comply with search engine guidelines.
Quality backlinks are links that come from websites that are relevant, credible, and have stable traffic. Quality backlinks even if there is only one number will beat 100 backlinks that are not of high quality.
Why Is Link Building Important For Seo
Link building has a significant impact on SEO because it plays a significant role in determining the visibility and authority of a website in search engine rankings. Here are some reasons why is link building important for SEO:
1. Improved Search Engine Rankings
Backlinks from authoritative and relevant websites signal to search engines that your website is trustworthy and valuable. This can lead to higher rankings in search engine results pages (SERPs).
2. Increased Organic Traffic
Higher rankings in SERPs can result in increased organic traffic to your website. When your website appears on the first page of search results, it is more likely to be clicked on by users, driving more traffic to your site.
3. Enhanced Domain Authority
Domain authority is a metric that predicts how well a website will rank in search engine results. Building high-quality backlinks from reputable websites can improve your domain authority, making it easier to rank for competitive keywords.
4. Faster Indexing
When search engine bots crawl the web, they follow links to discover and index new web pages. By building backlinks from authoritative websites, you can increase the chances of your website being crawled and indexed more quickly.
5. Increased Referral Traffic
Backlinks not only help with SEO but also drive referral traffic to your website. When users click on a backlink from another website, they are directed to your site, potentially increasing your website's visibility and attracting new visitors.
6. Authority and Trust
Backlinks from reputable and authoritative websites signal to search engines that your website is trustworthy and credible. When high-quality websites link to your content, it enhances your website's authority and helps establish your expertise in your industry.
7. Brand Exposure and Awareness
Link building can help increase your brand awareness and exposure. When your content is linked to by authoritative websites, it exposes your brand to a wider audience, potentially
Link Building Vs. Backlinks
In summary, link building is the broader practice of actively seeking and acquiring backlinks, while backlinks are the specific links that point from external websites to your website. Link building encompasses various strategies to obtain backlinks, such as content creation, guest blogging, influencer outreach, and more. The ultimate goal of both link building and backlinks is to improve your website's visibility, organic traffic, and overall SEO performance.
Link building and backlinks are closely related but have slightly different meanings:
- Link building: Link building refers to the overall process of actively acquiring links from other websites to your own website. It involves various strategies and techniques to earn or attract backlinks. Link building is a proactive approach to improve your website's authority, visibility, and search engine rankings.
- Backlinks: Backlinks, also known as inbound links or incoming links, are the actual links from other websites that direct users to your website. Backlinks are a crucial factor in determining the authority and relevance of a website in search engine algorithms. They act as "votes" of confidence from other websites, indicating that your content is valuable and worthy of linking to.
Link Building Websites
Link building websites are platforms or directories where you can submit your website or content to gain backlinks. These backlinks can help improve your website's search engine rankings and increase its visibility. Here are some popular link building websites:
- Moz: Moz offers a link building tool called Moz Link Explorer, which allows you to find and analyze backlinks to your website. It also provides resources and guides on effective link building strategies.
- Ahrefs: Ahrefs is a comprehensive SEO tool that includes a backlink analysis feature. It helps you identify and analyze backlinks to your website, as well as find potential link building opportunities.
- SEMrush: SEMrush is another all-in-one SEO tool that provides backlink analysis and link building features. It helps you track your backlinks, analyze your competitors' backlinks, and find new link building opportunities.
- HARO (Help a Reporter Out): HARO is a platform that connects journalists and bloggers with sources for their articles. By signing up as a source, you can respond to relevant queries and potentially earn backlinks from reputable websites.
- Guest Posting Websites: Many websites accept guest posts, where you can contribute an article or blog post in exchange for a backlink to your website. Examples of popular guest posting websites include Medium, Forbes, and Huffington Post.
- Business Directories: Submitting your website to reputable business directories, such as Google My Business, Yelp, and Yellow Pages, can help you gain backlinks.
Link building SEO jobs
Link building SEO jobs can be found in various roles and positions within digital marketing and SEO agencies. Here are a few job titles that are commonly associated with link building for SEO:
- Link Building Specialist: This role focuses specifically on developing and executing link building campaigns. Responsibilities may include prospecting for link opportunities, outreach to potential websites, tracking and analyzing backlinks, and staying updated with industry best practices.
- SEO Specialist/SEO Manager: SEO specialists and managers often handle different aspects of search engine optimization, including link building. They develop and implement comprehensive SEO strategies that may involve link acquisition as a key tactic.
- Content Marketing Manager: Content marketing managers often work closely with SEO teams to create and promote valuable content that attracts backlinks. They collaborate with writers, designers, and outreach specialists to develop linkable assets and drive link acquisition.
- Digital PR Specialist: Digital PR specialists focus on building relationships with journalists, bloggers, influencers, and website owners to secure media coverage and backlinks. They may conduct outreach campaigns, pitch story ideas, and track link placements.
- Outreach Coordinator/Link Builder: These roles specifically handle the outreach aspect of link building. They identify relevant websites, initiate contact, foster relationships, and negotiate link placements with external parties.
- SEO Account Manager: In an agency setting, SEO account managers oversee client accounts and strategies. They collaborate with various teams, including link building specialists, to ensure the successful implementation and execution of SEO campaigns.
When searching for link building SEO jobs, consider utilizing job search websites, industry-specific job boards, LinkedIn, or networking within the SEO and digital marketing community. Be sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your specific link building and SEO skills and experience.
Types of Link Building in SEO
Link building must be comprehensive, built with 2 types of link building in SEO based on structures, namely internal and external:
Internal link building
Internal link building itself is a strategy to build backward links from one web page to another (still on the same website) that are still related or relevant.
some SEO observers classify internal links into four different types, namely:
- Contextual links or in-text links are links that are in the anchor text of the main content of website pages. Blog posts often feature these types of links to direct readers to relevant, related content. It's also useful for helping Google understand how your site's pages relate to one another.
- Navigational links are internal links that must and always be in the website's main menu because this type forms the main navigational structure of the website. Navigation links are often located in the top menu or sidebar of websites that cover general categories, such as product menus, services, or the website's main content topics.
- Footer links are a type of navigational link that generally appear at the bottom of website pages where they must also lead to other pages on the same website. For example links contact us, about us, FAQ, and other types of reference pages.
- Sidebar links are another type of navigational link which is useful for directing users to related content. This type of internal link is usually implemented by news or recipe websites to encourage visitors to access related pages on the same website.
External link building
This type of link building uses the website you are targeting as a place to place the link or in other words you are looking for backward links from other websites to your website.
The first type of link building is link building with organic methods. That is, you don't need to look for sites that can be used as a place to plant backlinks. You also don't need to ask someone to embed a link that leads to your site.
This is the best type of link because it is obtained organically, that is, when other people voluntarily place your link on their website. This can happen because your content is considered to be of good quality or can be used as a credible source of information.
In contrast to the first type of link building. The link building outreach technique is a technique for getting backlinks by asking permission from other website owners to embed links that point to your website.
3. Black Hat
The next type of link building is Black Hat. This one method is an alternative for website managers who want faster results than other methods.
The Black Hat method is done by creating your own backlinks for your own website with the aim that the ranking will increase rapidly. Even the method of planting backlinks using the Black Hat method is now very neat, detailed and has a lot of success.
How to Build a Link Building Strategy
1. Set goals
Determine your objectives for link building, such as improving search rankings, increasing organic traffic, or building brand authority.
2. Competitor analysis
Research your competitors' backlink profiles to identify potential link opportunities and gain insights into their strategies.
3. Identify linkable assets
Create high-quality, valuable content that other websites would want to link to. This can include blog posts, infographics, guides, videos, or other types of resources.
4. Content link building
Content link building is a link building method that uses an article creation method, this type is included in the organic category.
Production of Quality Content
In order to get quality backlinks, you also need to create high-quality content that has value for your website readers.
Some examples of the types of content that usually get lots of backlinks, such as infographics, statistics, white papers, guides, videos, and image galleries.
Then, how do you create quality content? At least you need to understand choosing content topics, using the right keywords, making interesting content titles, engaging content, and how to include related links.
After creating quality content, only then can you promote the content that you created earlier via social media and you can link websites that are relevant to yours. You can ask them to post a link to your content on their website. If the content was really good, of course other website owners will have the potential to make content creation references.
The next way is guest blogging. This method is a link building that is done by being a guest on another website by writing articles to be published on that site.
In that article, you can insert a link to your website. However, still make sure the guest blogging you make is of good quality and not spamming.
Share Content in Online Forums
Another way of link building is to get backlinks and share the content you create in one particular online forum.
Reach out to relevant influencers, bloggers, and webmasters to promote your content. Offer them value, such as guest posts, expert interviews, or resource collaborations that can earn you backlinks.
5. Broken link building
Identify websites in your niche that have broken links, and reach out to the webmasters to inform them about the broken link and suggest your relevant content as a replacement.
6. Influencer outreach
Build relationships with influential figures in your industry and seek opportunities for them to mention or link to your content.
7. Social media and content sharing
Promote your content on social media platforms and encourage others to share it. This can help to increase visibility and attract natural backlinks.
8. Monitor and analyze
Continually measure your link building efforts, track the performance of your backlinks, and analyze the impact on your SEO metrics. Use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console to monitor traffic and rankings.
Remember, link building should be a natural and organic process. Quality over quantity is key, as search engines value relevant and authoritative backlinks.
It's best to run a link building strategy as early as possible, so that the potential to get ranked on Google search pages will increase.
Having this strategy can help business owners to build site authority, generate referral traffic, and have long-term promotions. Even link building will also support the company's branding itself so that it can be more popular.