What are Backlinks? Definition, Benefits, and How to Make It
There are many ways to get your website to the top of the Google search page. One of them, by doing link building on the website. Of the many links that you need to build, backlinks are one of the most important.
If you have quality backlinks, search engines will judge your website as a credible site. That way, any content that you create later will more easily occupy the top position of search pages.
Then, how do you get your content to get quality backlinks and be liked by Google? Before heading to this discussion, it's a good idea to know in advance what backlinks are, their benefits, and how to create them through this article.
What are Backlinks?
Backlinks are links or links from one website to another website. Backlinks are also known as inbound links, incoming links or one-way links which mean incoming links and one-way links.
Websites with quality backlinks will affect good rankings from Google and other search engines. This is because backlinks can be used as a measure if a website page can be trusted and as a reference from other sources.
That is why websites with quality backlinks often get top positions on search pages or SERPs.
As one of the important aspects that can determine a web's position in search engine searches, learning and understanding the concept of backlinks is not easy. The reason is, there are always rules from Google that limit the space for movement which is considered to be detrimental to many people. One of them, with the Google Penguin algorithm which is set to lower the ranking of sites with a number of irrelevant spam backlinks.
What are Referring Domains? What is the Relationship of Referring Domains and Backlinks
The term Referring Domain relates to Backlinks. Referring domain is where the domain of a backlink comes from. In general, the value of this referring domain should not be much different from the total number of backlinks that a website gets. Why is that? because if the value of the two has a significant difference, Google will assume that there is a backlink game in it. Google itself really likes the large number of referring domains in backlinks. Referring Domains that point to the root domain can increase the page rank of a website. To optimize the growth of referring domains, you can use the rebacklink technique. Referring Domains function so that Google can recommend your website content to appear on Page One.
Backlink have 2 category:
Internal links or internal backlinks are links that connect two web pages on the same domain, so that visitors can find more information on a particular topic or read other relevant content.
The purpose of internal links is to increase the duration of audience visits to the domain, as well as increase the number of visits to specific content. In addition, internal links can also help reduce the bounce rate, which is a metric that shows how often visitors leave a website after reading only one page.
External backlinks are links that lead to or are received from other domains. These links are necessary if your website does not have relevant content for a particular topic, so resources from other websites must be added.
External links not only help provide information to visitors, but also help other websites you refer to establish their authority and relevance in search engines. In addition, this type of backlink can also gradually increase visitor traffic to referred external domains.
What are the uses of backlinks
Backlinks are one thing that has a very important function for the progress of the website. Because it can increase traffic and reputation in search engines. Here are 5 uses of backlinks, namely:
The first and most desired use by website owners is to increase visitor traffic to their website. So, visits are not only from search pages but also get additional visitors from websites that provide inbound links. Therefore, the higher the visits obtained. Websites are becoming more popular and are given positive ratings by the Google search engine.
Google works with a website crawling system on a regular basis for indexing. There are special robots that do this known as crawler bots. The trick, every link on the website is traced. If you have the best quantity and quality inbound links, then your website won't take long to reach the indexing process. The advantage is that websites appear more frequently and easily on search pages.
Improved Domain Authority (DA)
What is a backlink must be known because it is one of the factors in increasing domain authority. DA is often used as a matrix that makes it easy to know the strengths of a website. The higher the DA value your website has, the easier it is to appear on search pages. So that there is a greater chance of getting lots of visitors and increasing traffic.
Increased Page Authority (PA)
Backlinks are one of the basics in evaluating SEO matrices. This is because websites that have the most quality backlinks can increase the value of Page Authority. PA function to measure how strong the URL is on the search page. The higher the PA you have, the wider the chance for your website to rank first on search engine pages.
Website Reputation Improvement
The last use is to build website reputation. If your website has a good image according to search engine ratings, it is always recommended to visitors. So that the opportunity to get visitors is always wide open every day. As the traffic increases, the profits will also increase.
Types of Backlinks
In general, the types of backlinks are divided into three categories, namely backlinks based on quality, their effect on ranking, and their source of origin. Find the different types of backlinks in the following explanation.
Based on Quality
Based on the quality, the types of backlinks are divided into two, namely quality backlinks and toxic backlinks. An explanation of the two types of backlinks is as follows:
- Quality Backlinks - quality backlinks are backlinks provided by trusted websites and have a niche that matches your website. This type of backlink allows you to increase your reputation, domain authority, and rank on the SERP.
- Toxic Backlink - a type of poor quality backlink obtained from a suspicious website with a topic that is not relevant to the niche website and tends to spam your link. These backlinks can reduce the quality of your SEO.
Based on Influence
Based on their effect on tracking and website ranking, backlinks can also be divided into two types, namely:
- Dofollow Backlink is a type of backlink that asks search engines to crawl the intended link. This type of backlink forwards the PageRank or authority of the original page to the destination page, so that it can help the website to get a higher ranking on the SERP.
- Nofollow Backlinks are backlinks that ask search engines to ignore the intended link. This type of backlink does not pass on PageRank, so it will not help the website to get a higher ranking on SERP.
Based on the Source
Apart from quality and influence, there are also several types of backlinks when viewed from their source. Types of backlinks that may be useful for your site include:
- Comment Backlink - represents all backlinks obtained from comments on a blog or website.
- Editorial Backlink - a type of backlink that is obtained naturally from other website content. The form of backlinks can be sources of information, references, or citations.
- Guest Posting Backlink - a type of backlink that is obtained when you publish content on other websites.
- PBN Backlink - type of backlink obtained from Private Blog Network (PBN).
- Social Bookmarking Backlink - a type of backlink originating from a social platform that allows users to share links within it.
How to Get Backlinks
After understanding the meaning of the types of backlinks, then you need to understand several ways to get backlinks. The steps you can take to get backlinks are:
Producing Quality Content
The first way to get backlinks is by producing quality content. The more other sites find your content useful, they will be happy to make you a referral and provide you with backlinks.
Use some backlink building methods
Some of the methods you can use to build backlinks are:
- Doing Guest Blogging, namely writing websites on other blogs while including a link to your website;
- Building broken links, by finding relevant broken links on a website, then offering your website in exchange;
- The Skyscraper technique, the point is to find content that has a lot of links, then create better relevant content and ask it to link to your website.
Using Social Media
Social media is a very powerful shared platform for getting traffic by embedding backlinks to your website. Include a link to the website on various social media that you have when you publish new content.
Using Backlink Services
If you want to get quality backlinks, using backlink services is a link building solution for your website. However, you have to be selective both in terms of quality and price. Remember! Because backlink services are used by many other websites, the quality gradually decreases.