Keyword Tracking: The Beginner Guidance
Keywords have always been the basic foundation of SEO, so you will never be separated from keywords. Along with the times and technology, as well as changes in algorithms that occur, making keyword rankings always change, so you will always be required to focus so as not to miss. So you will need a way to monitor your keywords, namely keyword tracking.
What is keyword tracking in seo
Keyword tracking in SEO refers to the process of monitoring and analyzing the position and ranking of specific keywords in search engines. It involves keeping track of how well certain keywords are performing in the search engine results pages (SERPs) over time.
Keyword tracking is important in SEO because it helps website owners and SEO professionals understand how their targeted keywords are performing and whether their optimization efforts are paying off. By tracking keyword rankings, they can learn which keywords are driving traffic to their site, identify opportunities for improvement, and make data-driven decisions to optimize their content, meta tags, and backlink strategies.
Keyword tracking tools, such as Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and third-party SEO software, are commonly used to track keywords. These tools show the current ranking positions for specific keywords, highlight changes in rankings, provide in-depth keyword analysis, and sometimes offer insights into competitor rankings as well.
Overall, keyword tracking in SEO allows website owners to evaluate their SEO efforts, improve their keyword targeting, and increase organic search visibility.
What types of keyword you should to track
There are several types of keyword tracking methods that you can use to monitor your keyword rankings:
- Organic keyword tracking: This method involves tracking the rankings of your website's keywords in organic search results. It helps you understand how well your website is performing in terms of visibility and organic traffic generation.
- Local keyword tracking: If you have a local business or target specific geographic locations, tracking local keywords is important. This method allows you to monitor how well your website ranks for keywords that are relevant to your local audience.
- Mobile keyword tracking: With the increasing use of mobile devices, it's crucial to track keyword rankings specifically for mobile search results. This helps you optimize your website for mobile users and ensure that you are visible to your mobile audience.
- Competitor keyword tracking: Tracking your competitors' keyword rankings can provide valuable insights into their SEO strategies and help you identify opportunities to improve your own rankings. This method allows you to monitor your competitors' performance and adjust your SEO efforts accordingly.
- Long-tail keyword tracking: Long-tail keywords are more specific and less competitive than generic keywords. Tracking your rankings for long-tail keywords can help you identify niche opportunities and optimize your content for targeted search queries.
- Paid keyword tracking: If you are running paid advertising campaigns, tracking the rankings of your paid keywords is essential. This method allows you to monitor the performance of your paid ads and optimize your campaigns for better results.
How Do You Track Keyword
To track keywords effectively, you can follow these steps:
1. Set up your account
Sign up for the keyword tracking tool of your choice and set up your account. Provide the necessary information and connect your website or project to the tool.
2. Add relevant keywords
Enter the keywords you want to track. It's essential to focus on relevant keywords that are important for your website's SEO strategy. Consider using a mix of high-volume and long-tail keywords. Some tools allow you to import a list of keywords in bulk.
3. Configure settings
Adjust the settings according to your requirements. Specify the search engine (e.g., Google, Bing) and location you want to track rankings for. You can often select specific countries, cities, or even customize the location settings. Adjust the frequency of tracking (e.g., daily, weekly) and other relevant settings as needed.
4. Start tracking
Once you have added the keywords and configured the settings, initiate the tracking process. The tool will start monitoring the rankings for your selected keywords. Depending on the tool, it may take some time to collect the initial data and rankings.
5. Analyze the data
Review the keyword tracking reports provided by the tool. Analyze the rankings, position changes, and any other relevant metrics. Look for patterns, trends, and opportunities for improvement. Identify keywords that are performing well and those that may require further optimization efforts.
Here are some common keyword ranking metrics:
- Average Position: This metric calculates the average position of a keyword across multiple search queries. It provides an overall view of how well a keyword is ranking in SERPs.
- Top Ranking Positions: This metric focuses on the number of times a keyword appears in the top positions of SERPs, such as the top 3 or top 10. It indicates the keyword's ability to attract high visibility and organic traffic.
- Search Volume: Search volume represents the number of times a keyword is searched for in a specific period. It helps determine the popularity and potential traffic a keyword can generate.
- Click-Through Rate (CTR): CTR measures the percentage of users who click on a website's link when it appears in search results. It indicates the relevance and attractiveness of a keyword to searchers.
- Visibility Index: The visibility index is a metric that combines keyword rankings and search volume to provide an overall measure of a website's visibility in search results. It considers the positions and search volumes of all keywords a website is ranking for.
- Keyword Difficulty: Keyword difficulty assesses the level of competition for a specific keyword. It helps determine how challenging it would be to rank for that keyword based on factors like domain authority, backlinks, and
- Organic Traffic: Organic traffic metric tracks the number of visitors that come to a website through organic search results for a specific keyword. It helps assess the effectiveness of keyword optimization in driving traffic.
- Conversion Rate: Conversion rate metric measures the percentage of visitors who complete a desired action, such as making a purchase or filling out a form, after landing on a website through a specific keyword. It helps evaluate the keyword's ability to drive valuable actions.
- Competitor Analysis: Monitoring the keyword rankings and performance of your competitors can help you identify new keyword opportunities or adjust your strategy to stay competitive.
6. Take necessary actions
Based on the insights gained from the keyword tracking reports, create an action plan. Optimize your content, meta tags, and other on-page elements for keywords that need improvement. Focus on building quality backlinks and improving website authority for better rankings.
7. Monitor progress
Continuously monitor the keyword rankings using the tracking tool. Regularly review the reports to track progress, see the impact of your SEO efforts, and make any necessary adjustments to your strategy.
Remember that keyword tracking is an ongoing process. It's crucial to regularly monitor the performance of your keywords and adapt your SEO strategy accordingly to maintain or improve your rankings.
How To Use Keyword Tracking In Google
To use keyword tracking in Google, you can follow these steps:
- Set up a Google Analytics account
If you don't already have one, create a Google Analytics account for your website. This will allow you to track and analyze your website's performance.
- Identify relevant keywords
Determine the keywords that are relevant to your business and target audience. These should be the keywords that you want to track and monitor.
- Use Google Search Console
Sign in to your Google Search Console account and add your website. Verify ownership of your website by following the provided instructions.
- Set up keyword tracking
In Google Search Console, go to the "Performance" section. Here, you can see the search queries that are driving traffic to your website. You can filter the data by date, country, and device to get more specific insights.
- Monitor keyword performance
Analyze the data to see how your targeted keywords are performing. Look for trends, changes in rankings, and click-through rates. This will help you understand which keywords are driving the most traffic and conversions.
- Use Google Ads
If you are running Google Ads campaigns, you can use the Google Ads platform to track the performance of your keywords. Set up conversion tracking to measure the effectiveness of your ads and keywords in driving desired actions on your website.
- Use third-party tools
There are several third-party keyword tracking tools available that can provide more detailed insights and analysis. These tools can help you track keyword rankings.
Best Keyword Tracking Tools
There are several keyword tracking tools available that can help monitor and analyze keyword rankings. The best keyword tracking tools vary based on individual needs and preferences, but some popular options include:
SEMrush is a comprehensive SEO tool that offers keyword tracking capabilities. It provides detailed keyword analysis, tracks rankings across multiple search engines and locations, offers competitor analysis, and provides historical data.
Ahrefs is another powerful SEO tool that offers keyword tracking features. It provides accurate and up-to-date keyword rankings, tracks keyword positions over time, and offers competitor analysis. Ahrefs also offers additional SEO features like backlink analysis and content research.
Moz provides a range of SEO tools, including keyword tracking functionality. It offers the ability to track keyword rankings on a daily basis, provides insights into keyword performance and opportunities, and includes features like search visibility score and competitor analysis.
Serpstat is an all-in-one SEO platform that offers keyword tracking features. It provides accurate and up-to-date keyword rankings, tracks rankings across multiple search engines and locations, and offers competitor analysis and keyword research tools.
5. Google Search Console
Although it is not a dedicated keyword tracking tool, Google Search Console is a free tool provided by Google that offers insights into keyword performance. It provides data on keyword impressions, clicks, and average position in the search results.
6. Rank Tracker by SEO PowerSuite
Rank Tracker is another popular tool that allows users to track keyword rankings across multiple search engines and locations. It offers features like historical data, competitor analysis, and the ability to track keyword rankings for mobile and desktop.
Ultimately, the best keyword tracking tool for you will depend on your specific needs, budget, and preferences. It's recommended to try out different tools and choose the one that provides the most relevant and accurate data for your SEO efforts.